Resettlement Assistance Program for Refugees
Program DescriptionThe Resettlement Assistance Program provides settlement services to Citizenship and Immigration Canada referred Government Assisted Refugees (GAR’s) during the first 4-6 weeks after their arrival in Lethbridge. Services include:
- Referred GAR’s are met at the airport and welcomed to Lethbridge. Arrangements are made for temporary accommodations and transportation during the first two weeks of residency in the city.
- Clients attend an initial intake and needs assessment at our office.
- Clients are accompanied to Alberta Health Services for an initial health assessment.
- Assistance is provided to secure Canadian documentation, such as a Social Insurance Number, an Alberta Health Care Number, Child Tax Benefits and other federal and provincial programs that clients may be eligible for.
- Clients attend initial information and orientation sessions to learn about living and working in Canada, Alberta and Lethbridge. Topics covered include banking, public transportation and getting around the city, housing, health, accessing education and employment, Canadian culture, the legal and justice system and citizens’ rights and responsibilities.
- After the initial period, clients are assisted in securing permanent accommodation and in moving.
- Interpretive language support is provided to attend meetings or appointments (i.e. Doctor’s visit, counseling, and other appointments)
- Enhanced Life Skills orientation and in-home services are provided to clients who need additional support.
Ongoing support is provided through:
- Referrals are provided for GAR’s who need help to access community resources and services such as banking, health care, locating a home, acquiring government services and family benefits or cultural, educational, and recreational programs.
- Referrals are also made to partner agencies so that newcomers can access English language assessment, English language instruction organizations and community employment programs.
- Clients can also access other LFS programs such as the Integrated Services Program, Interpretation and Translation services, the Youth Based Settlement Support program, and/or the Community Connections Volunteer program.
- Solution focused counseling services help both individuals and families develop and implement strategies for adjustment to Canadian life. This may include social and personal support and linking with specialized services.
Am I eligible?This program is offered to Government Assisted Refugees who are originally destined to Lethbridge by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Also eligible for this program are:
- Government Assisted refugees who have moved to Lethbridge from within the province of Alberta, are within the first 12 months of their arrival to Canada, and who still receive financial support through the Resettlement Assistance program.
- Government Assisted refugees who have moved to Lethbridge from another province in Canada, are within the first 12 months of their arrival to Canada, and who still receive financial support through the Resettlement Assistance program.
Where is the service provided?
All services can be accessed at at our office located at 1107 2 Ave A North, Lethbridge. Some program activities may take place at other facilities/partner organizations.
Based on the needs of the individual client, Settlement Practitioners may also provide support in the community and at the clients’ home through the Enhanced Life Skills (ELS) program.
How much will it cost?
All government assisted refugees are welcome to access this free service funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
How do I access this program?
Generally, refugees are referred by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
However most government assisted refugees are eligible for this program (see eligibility above). Refugees referred by other settlement agencies, friends or family can contact LFS –Immigrant Services to find out if they are eligible.
Who do I contact for more info?Call 403-320-1589 or visit our office at 1107 2nd Avenue A North.